Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Land of lost iPhones

Easter morning started off waking up at precisely 10:47 a.m. to hear my obnoxious doorbell being buzzed. Thinking whoever was out there would go away, I pulled the covers over my head because I could tell I had a good night from the leftover Turkish pizza wrapper that didn't make it into my trash can and was now lying on my floor.





 Then I remembered I made plans with Abby and Sarah to go to church at 11. Whoops. I let in Abby who laughed when she saw me and reminded me that we went to a single empty bar the night before, proceeded to take multiple selfies, then skipped going to Miller's which was packed simply because we wanted food. You can tell where our priorities lie.






I'm not entirely sure what we were thinking. Good thing no one was there (except Abby's crush who witnessed the entire thing)

Clearly making it to church wasn't going to happen so we went to the beach at Scheveningen instead to get some brunch and Bloody Marys! 



Definitely not like the Bloody Marys in America...sigh. 

After our brunch it was significantly colder, so we all decided to buy matching beanies because I have decided the Netherlands will never see sunlight ever again. 


We were really happy with our purchases, but looking back on it I decided my hat bears a striking resemblance to a chef's hat. 


^Me. 

After walking around for a little bit, the most delicious smell greeted my nostrils like an old friend. Churros. 


Don't let the sight of this woman fool you, those things were delicious. 



We then spotted the comfiest looking seats outside by a fire, ordered the best hot chocolate I have ever had, and enjoyed life. 









Unfortunately, this was the last picture my loyal iPhone of two years will have taken. After this exact moment, I put my phone next to me and thought, "Hm I should probably put that in my purse so I don't forget it." But the hot chocolate was calling my name, so I pushed that thought to the back of my mind. BIG mistake. After a couple of hours we decided to head home, so happy about our Easter weekend and that we finally made it to the beach! We got on the tram and a couple minutes into the ride, Abby and I both wanted to take a picture to Instagram later (classic). I reached into my pocket and alas, my fingers brushed only a single piece of lint. 







I knew I was about to become a member of the "I lost my iPhone while studying abroad" group, but I clung to the thought that it might still be at the restaurant. Thinking that the tram wouldn't take that long to run its course, we decided to stay on until it turned around so we wouldn't have to get off. About an hour later we realized we were nowhere near the Hague, but at least we were getting a nice tour of Delft and other surrounding cities. Another half hour passed, and we realized we were really not getting closer to our destination, so we asked the tram driver how to get back to the Hague. He laughed at us and told us we were going in the complete opposite direction. Once we transferred trams and finally got back to the Hague so we could go back to the beach, we decided since we had already wasted that much time we would make a little pit stop, seeing as it was nearing dinner. And what screams Easter dinner more than KFC and really cheap wine to sooth my sorrows? After we got our libations, we finally headed back to the beach. After asking the restaurant workers and searching endlessly through all the cushions, we finally gave up hope of ever finding my iPhone. RIP little buddy, we have been through a lot together. I will never forget you. 


Well, time for some dinner. 










Other than losing my phone, we had an amazing Easter weekend! Although I did miss the traditional Darmody Easter butter lamb, courtesy of my mom, as well as my family!


At least I have supportive friends...


















No comments:

Post a Comment