Monday, February 11, 2013

Seollal!

          Since it is the last day of the celebration of Seollal, the Lunar New Year, my Korean roommate, Estelle, and her friends cooked us a delicious traditional Korean meal! I managed to stop eating long enough to snap a pic.


   It was definitely not something I would have normally tried but I loved it!!! And I was so happy because I really didn't feel like going to the grocery store again to buy food for a single meal. Estelle if you are reading this, I apologize in advance for the butchering of some facts. I learned that their Korean age is actually different from their international age! Each passing of the Lunar New Year adds one year to their age, and a newborn baby is already considered to be one years old because their first year of life is counted in the womb!! How crazy is that?! So Estelle is 22 years old, but her Korean age is 24! We then somehow got on the subject of the drinking age, and Mary, my French roommate, asked if the red Solo cup was just a stereotype. I really got a kick out of that one. Mary also asked me if Americans actually eat that many burgers or if that is just a stereotype as well. She was really nailing down our culture. Hopefully I can make them dinner soon! On second thought, after the way my chili turned out, maybe I'll just take them to McDonalds...



     

No comments:

Post a Comment