Thursday, July 25, 2013

Buda Buda Buda Buda rockin' everywhere

In the morning we woke up in Budapest extremely hungover bright eyed and bushy tailed! When we got off the train we flopped down on the nearest bench and just stared into the abyss, with the hot rays of sunshine beating down upon our backs as we tried to not think about the vast amounts of alcohol consumed the previous day. 


After attempting to hydrate ourselves for about thirty minutes we figured we would make the trek to our hostel. Good thing Abby looked up the directions while I was snoozing on the couch minutes before our train was to take off! After trying to decipher her directions, and wandering Budapest for a good hour with death looming towards us, we finally spotted a McDonalds that had free wifi. While I sat down and tried to stop the room from spinning, Abby looked up directions for the second time.


Again we were off in search of our damn hostel, drenched in an alcoholic sweat. We passed a fruit stand and Abby thought a banana would be sure to settle her stomach. After half way through eating her banana, I heard a feint, "Lauraaaaaa"



I turned around to see Abby just stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, half-eaten banana clenched in hand. I knew what was about to come so I quickly grabbed her banana and being the good friend that I am, simply turned around. 

Banana vomit. Everywhere.


After emptying the contents of her stomach on the streets of Budapest, Abby took the banana back and kept on eating. 

"I feel like a whole new person!"

After witnessing that, I thought I was going to vomit.

We eventually reached our hostel an hour later (approximately a ten minute walk from the train station...) and checked in. We then went in search of food before another Sandeman tour. We found a cafe near our hostel that had the BEST BURRITO I have ever eaten in my entire life. Or I was really hungover and everything tastes like the food of the gods. Either way. Fantastic. We vowed to each other we would get that burrito once more before leaving.

Then we went on a free walking tour that turned out to be my least favorite one out of Berlin, Prague, and Budapest. Pretty upsetting because the guys we met who got tear gassed in Turkey said it was the best walking tour they had been on!













You really captured a great view of the background Abby! Thanks!





Remember when you were throwing up a banana this morning? Now you are nomming on a peach.


Demolished in three bites. I kid you not.








Even though the tour was boring we got to see some great views of Budapest!


The next morning we went to , a thermal bath on the Pest side! It was so relaxing and we spent most of the day there. A lot of men in speedos. Too many.







Seems we got photobombed.



This was a rather modest speedo.


For lunch we had goulash, a traditional Hungarian meat stew that was delicious!


After the baths we passed a piercing place and thought, "Why not?" We had planned on getting piercings in Krakow but apparently all piercers have Saturday off. Go figure.


For dinner we had some traditional Hungarian food! Our tour guide told us Hungarians like to make their food as unhealthy as possible. I laughed looking at the menu. Some options included pork wrapped in bacon and fried, with a side of fried vegetables. 

Pretty accurate from what I ordered. 


When we were done dinner, our waiter brought out these souvenirs to give to us. Too funny!


The next day we hiked up to the Liberty Statue to get an amazing view of Budapest. 




Amazing to see- my camera doesn't do it justice!







Then we checked out a huge market in the center! So much fresh food that smelled delicious.


It was almost time to leave so we figured it would be a perfect opportunity to get another DELICIOUS, SAVORY, AMAZING, DELECTABLE BURRITO. We arrived there ready to take our usual table (we went there for breakfast that morning too....) when we were informed they were about to close. No burrito. No. Burrito.


Attempting to mend our broken hearts, we went in search of some beer.

Cheers to an amazing last trip through Europe together!! (minus the whole burrito thing)


Desserts: should I go with the ice cup or chewing gum?!



Okay not our last drink. We had to get some wine at the airport.



Overall this was one of my favorite trips I have been on!! I can't believe my time in Europe is coming to an end (as I write this the day before I leave to go home). It has been a crazy adventure and I am so thankful and fortunate to have been able to experience it. 

Hopefully my sense of direction has gotten slightly better as well.


























No comments:

Post a Comment